Competition General Information
- Enrolments for the Vocal Art Choir Competition must be registered online before the 20th February at the latest.
- Vocal Art Choir Competition: from Thursday, July 18th to Sunday, July 21th.
- Enrolments will be registered in order of arrival. It is therefore advisable to reply as soon as possible. Enrolments are subject to the approval of the organising Committee.
- Organising Committee whose decision will be confirmed to both selected and non-selected groups by e-mail, no later than one week after receiving the application.
- Check Competition rules for more information.
The selected groups must confirm their application by e-mail as soon as possible, and will then receive a circular giving all further details.
Choirs will need to:
- Pay the registration fees as described in detail at the bottom of the Rules.
- Send no later than the 10th May all the Repertoire forms (online).
1 – Competition Categories
- Sacred music
- Folk/Traditional Music
2 – Classes
The V.A.C.C. – VOCAL ART CHOIR COMPETITION includes 3 (three) Sacred Classes (A,B and C):
- A – Equal Voices (male or female – Adults and Youth) Choirs.
- B – Mixed Voices (Adults and Youth).
- C – Senior (70% must be 60 years old or over).
Nota:The Competition is restricted to groups whose members are aged over 10 years.
3 – Repertoire
The program choice, for Competition A and/or B, is left on the behalf of each ensemble, but it must include four works (disrespecting this will exclude the choir from this competition).
- One piece by a composer born before 1900.
- One piece by a composer born after 1900.
- Two pieces chosen freely from any period desired.
Nota 1:One piece from a Portuguese composer is mandatory.
Nota 2:There’s a special prize for the “Best Performance of the piece composed before 1750”.
The total duration of performed repertoire must be between 10 and 20 minutes of pure singing time (that is, the duration of the performed pieces excluding applause and going into or leaving the stage).
- Choirs must sing three pieces A Cappella. Only one can be accompanied.
- No Choir is allowed to sing the same repertoire in two different classes (A, B and C).
- For overrunning the permitted time, choirs will be penalised by two points per minute.
- Accompaniment may be provided – Piano/Organ.
- Recorded accompaniment is not allowed.
Subsequent to repertoire entry, a choir is not allowed to change its repertoire nor the order in which it will be sung. For this to happen the organisation committee should be warned at least two day before the start of the competition.
The program choice, for this category, is on the behalf of each ensemble, but it must include 3-4 works, at least two based on the musical traditions of their own country/region. In spite of this, the choir may present some secular (not sacred) pieces. (Note: disrespecting this will exclude the choir from this competition) Please bring typical costumes from your country!
The total duration of performed repertoire must be between 8 and 15 minutes of pure singing time (that is, the duration of the performed pieces excluding applause and going into or leaving the stage).
- Accompaniment is allowed.
- For overrunning the permitted time, choirs will be penalized by two points per minute.
- Subsequent to repertoire entry, a choir is not allowed to change its repertoire nor the order in which it will be sung. For this to happen the organisation committee should be warned at least two day before the start of the competition.
C.C.C – (Choir of the Choirs Competition)
The C.C.C. is a special competition. Only 5 choirs can participate: the winners of Folk, Sacred Classes A, B, C and another choir chosen by the jury. If a choir wins more than a competition (sacred and folk), the jury will choose another choir to compete.
The program choice for C.C.C. is on the behalf of each ensemble, but it must include three pieces. One of these must be a folk/Traditional song.
- Only one of the 3 songs can be repeated at the C.C.C., taken from the Folk or Sacred Competition repertoire (disrespecting this will exclude the choir from this competition).
- The choir may sing accompanied or unaccompanied.
- The total duration of performed repertoire must be between 8 and 15 minutes of pure singing time (it is the duration of the performed pieces excluding applause and going onto or leaving the stage).
- For overrunning the permitted time, choirs will be penalized by two points per minute.
- There’s a special prize voted by the public. At the Closing and Award Ceremony, the winner of the C.C.C. must sing one song, and the winner of the public award must sing a song also.
4 – Prizes
At the outcome of each competition, the following prizes will be awarded, IN CASE OF A MINIMUM SCORE OF 65 POINTS:
|1st prize||2nd prize||3rd prize|
|Sacred – Class A||Diploma /250€||Diploma/Statuette||Diploma|
|Sacred – Classe B||Diploma /250€||Diploma/Statuette||Diploma|
|Sacred – Classe C||Diploma /250€||Diploma/Statuette||Diploma|
|1st prize||2nd prize||3rd prize|
|Choir of Choirss||4.000 €|
|Best Conductor in all Classes and Categories||Diploma/Statuette|
|Best performance of a piece composed before 1750.||Diploma/Statuette|
Nota:In case of a tie, the prizes will be divided accordingly and the prize percentage will be maintained.
Choirs will be judged according the following parameters:
- FIDELITY TO THE SCORE
- SOUND QUALITY
- PROGRAMME CHOICE
- OVERALL ARTISTIC IMPRESSION
According to the score, Bronze, Silver and Gold Diplomas will be awarded. If the choir does not achieve a Diploma it will receive a certificate of participation.
|Bronze||65 – 74|
|Silver||75 – 84|
|Gold||85 – 100|
5 – Entry Procedure
When submitting an entry form you must include:
- A recent recording of the Choir (From the last year, ex: mp3, vídeo youtube).
- Choir Curriculum, detailing activities and achievement *
- One recent photograph of the choir. *
- Conductor Curriculum. *
- Conductor Photo.*
- Complete application form. *
- 200 Euros – Participation fee of the choir (not refundable after 10th March 2019)**
- Copy or scan of the receipt of the Bank transfer – (Participation fee – €200).
After the acceptance of your choir, you must send each piece that will be performed (till 10th May 2019)*
The closing date for repertoire entry is 10th May 2019
* Nota:All procedure must be formalised online. All the documents concerning the application must be in ENGLISH
- All entry forms must be submitted to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Competition Webpage: https://vacc.vocalart.pt/en
- Applications Link: https://vacc.vocalart.pt/en/form-general-enrolment/
** Nota: You can pay your fee by Bank transfer
- Details for bank Tranfer
- Transfer to – Pedro Agostinho Miranda Ribeiro:
- Bank: CGD – Caixa Geral de Depósitos
- NIB: 0329 0098 2623 0
- BIC Code: CGDIPTPL
- IBAN: PT50 0035 0329 0000 9826 2303 9
- Address: Largo da Feira, s/n; 4590 – 311 FREAMUNDE
- The closing date for class entry is 20th February 2019
- The closing date for repertoire entry is 10th May 2019
6 – Competition Rules:
Please read the rules very carefully as they contain all the details necessary, as to the choice of a choir’s program and the criteria for adjudication. Each choir must be familiar with the rules.
- All members of a choir, except the conductor, must be AMATEURS (i.e. people who do not earn their main livelihood as singers).
- No person may compete as a member of more than one choir in the same class.
- In case of changes of the keys printed in the scores the jury must be informed in writing prior to the competition.
- The Musical Director reserves the right to limit the number of entries for each class.
- The Musical Director reserves the right to join two classes or to cancel a class if he feels that there are not enough entries.
- The Musical Director reserves the right to refuse the entry to any choir to any class.
- The Musical Director reserves the right to add to or alter these rules.
- The Jury’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding any aspect of its decision.
- The repertoire for each class and competition must be correctly chosen, accordingly to the specifications described above. Disrespecting this rule will EXCLUDE THE CHOIR FROM THE COMPETITION.
- Order of appearance will be drawn by the Musical Director after entries are closed, and will be notified by e-mail to each participating choir no later than 15th April.
- It is against the law to perform music if the score has been reproduced illegally. Should a choir do so, the Festival accepts no responsibility for any action taken by publishers.
- The Festival Organisers and the Musical Director accept no legal responsibility whatsoever in respect of anything related to a choir’s participation in the Festival.
- ONE non competitive concert is mandatory. The choirs will receive this schedule with the competition schedule, by mail.
- The repertoire for the non competitive concerts may include pieces from the competition, although it cannot be fully composed by them, some extra competition pieces must be included.
- The participation on the V.A.C.C. parade is also mandatory. All choirs must participate, if possible with traditional clothes.
- The winner of C.C.C. must sing 1 song at the closing ceremony.
- There’s a special prize given by the audience during the C.C.C. competition. The winner of this prize must sing the winning piece at the Closing and Award Ceremony.
- There’s a special prize for the “Best Performance of the piece composed before 1750”. The winner of this prize must sing the winning piece at the Closing and Award Ceremony.
- Submission of an entry form and participation in the Festival implies the acceptance of all the Competition Rules and Regulations.
Between Thursday and Sunday evenings, the Choirs will perform the non-competitive Concert – The stage will be chosen according to the repertoire they wish to perform. Choirs may perform the same or part of the repertoire chosen for the Competition but it is expected that a different program will present presented.
Individual Concerts and Performances:
During the stay the participating choirs are not allowed to give further concerts or performances without the organiser’s approval in advance.
The competitions will be judged by a jury panel of at least one international adjudicator. A written adjudication will be sent by e-mail or post to each choir after the Festival.
If you require a piano for accompaniment during the Competition please make sure that you request the same on the Repertoire form which must be submitted within the 10th May.
Music stands will be provided by the Organizers at the Competition venue.
Each choir will have the possibility to try the acoustics of the concert stage for not more than 15 minutes according to the timetable which will be sent to every Choir after the deadline for application.
Broadcasting and Recording Rights
It is a condition of participation that any choir must agree:
That any performance it gives during the Festival may be broadcasted live and/or recorded for subsequent broadcast on radio and/or television without payment to the choir. All broadcasting rights to any performance at the Festival shall belong to the Festival which will be free to dispose of them as it will.
7 – FESTIVAL COSTS
- Choir participation fee – 200€. this payment will be sent with the application form.
- You will be requested to PAY 60€ for each member of the choir; including the director and the pianist/musicians (THE COST INCLUDES FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION).
- For other extra class the choir will pay 75€.
- If a Choir decides not to come after sending payment, the Organisation will keep the participation fee.
- Travel is to be organized by the participating choirs (their members and accompanying people) themselves. Travel costs are to be borne by the participating choirs.
The Festival will provide local transport to choirs
- On arrival, from OPORTO Airport or Train Station to their accommodation.
- On departure, from their accommodation to OPORTO Airport or Train Station.
- As deemed necessary by the Festival organisers during their stay.
Extra competition transport
Accordingly with the schedule the choirs might have free mornings, afternoons and/or evenings. If a choir wants to travel outside the festival this travel will be charged separately, for example, a two-way travel to Oporto beaches (30km) will cost the choir 250€.
- Lodging will be provided free of charge in local schools. Classrooms will be equipped with mattresses.
- At the school facilities you can also find toilets and have a hot water bath. YOU MUST BRING towels, hygiene products and individual sleeping bags.
- Other forms of accommodation are at your own expense, but all the details about this must be arranged with the Festival organisation.
- All meals will be served in the school cantines. First meal will be on thursday evening and the last will be the breakfast on Monday morning.
- The choir will be asked to provide the number of vegetarians and also the food restrictions together with the rooming list, by the 17th June.
- Extra meals will be charged 5€ per meal.